BFI Film Academy SCENE
Weekly virtual events for young filmmakers.
BFI Film Academy SCENE events are for emerging film talent aged 16-25.
At this year’s BFI London Film Festival, our SCENE events will focus on filmmakers in the #GENERATIONNOW programme. Specially selected from the BFI London Film Festival programme, the #GENERATIONNOW short films explore what it means to be a young adult in the world today. Tune in Thu 8 Oct and Thu 15 Oct on our Instagram to hear these filmmakers talk about their careers. Check out the schedule.
Outside of London Film Festival, we interview a young filmmaker LIVE every Thursday at 4pm on our BFI Film Academy Instagram channel. SCENE provides an opportunity for young filmmakers to promote their films and gives you a chance to watch some amazing new shorts, ask questions and learn from your filmmaking peers. The Monday before, we share a link to the film the will be discussed in that week’s Q&A across the BFI Film Academy social channels. You can send us your questions for the filmmaker in advance, or submit them live during the event.
Upcoming LFF SCENE events:
Thursday 8 October
- 3pm: Q&A with Luna Carmoon, Shagbands
- 4pm: Q&A with Erika Sanchez, Panthers
- 5pm: Q&A with Elvire Munoz, The Spark
- 6pm: Q&A with Ethosheia Hylton, Dolapo is Fine
- 7pm: Q&A with Martina Matzkin, The Name of the Son
Thursday 15 October
- 4pm: Q&A with Abel Rubinstein, Dungarees
- 5pm: Q&A with Joseph Ollman, Bitter Sky
- 6pm: Q&A with John Ogunmuyiwa, Mandem
- 7pm: Q&A with Molly Manning Walker, Good Thanks, You?
Previous SCENE events
- Thursday 18 June: Q&A with Ben Hector, 22. Anna Matthews (2020)
- Thursday 25 June: Q&A with Tracey Lopes, Motherland (2019)
- Thursday 2 July: Q&A with Sacha Beeley, Big Toast (2018)
- Thursday 9 July: Q&A with Sayna Fardaraghi, L’Observateur (2019)
- Thursday 16 July: Q&A with Georgia Mulraine, Elephant in the Room (2019)
- Thursday 23 July: Q&A with Abena Taylor-Smith, The Best is Yet to Come (2019)
- Thursday 30 July: Q&A with Glenn Whelan, The Gurney (2017)
- Thursday 6 August: Q&A with Arnold Chukwu, Disconnect (2018)
- Thursday 13 August: Q&A with Travis Wood, Affurmative Action (2019)
- Thursday 20 August: Q&A with McKenzie Alexander, Ding-Ding, Next (2020)
- Thursday 27 August: Q&A with Xan Black, A Smaller World (2020)
- Thursday 3 September: Q&A with Damie Lemomu & Sophie Abramovici, Shades of Blue (2020)
- Thursday 10 September: Q&A with Finn Callan, Guest (2020)
- Thursday 17 September: Q&A with Eliza Hatch, Come Home Safely (2018)
- Thursday 24 September: Q&A with Amber Akaunu, Afro Hair Rituals (2020)
Keep up to date on all the BFI Film Academy SCENE 2020 activity:
Sign up to the Film Academy newsletter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.