BFI Reuben Library
A free resource and study space with a huge collection of material about the moving image.
Please note: the library will be closed on Saturday 21 May due to a venue hire.
We will also be closed Thursday 2 to Monday 6 June for the bank holiday weekend. We reopen at 11am on Tuesday 7 June.
Our library holds the world’s largest collection of books, journals and digitised material about film, television and the moving image, free to access – whether you’re a serious researcher or just stopping by on your way to a film. We have state-of-the-art scanning facilities and an easy-to-use database to point you in the right direction if needed.
The library hosts a year-round programme of talks and events.
Accessing our services
- opening hours are Tuesday to Saturday 11:00-19:00
- you are welcome to pre-book a research session by choosing one of the slots below. Sessions run from 11am to 7pm, but we recommend you arrive as early as possible to make sure you get a desk
- you do not need to book and can drop in at any time during library opening hours, space permitting
- browsing of the library shelves is permitted, but we ask you to be mindful of others' personal space as you do so. We encourage you to order materials in advance of your visit, using our request form
- we will ask you to complete a registration card if you want to use any books, journals or other materials
- our secure lockers are currently unavailable. We hope to reintroduce lockers for library users next year
- please look after your personal belongings and do not leave them unattended. Ensure any bags are safely stowed under your desk and not a trip hazard for others
- study desks are no longer distanced, but please be considerate of your fellow researchers when moving about the library
- our staff will continue to wear face coverings. We would request that visitors continue to wear face coverings in the library and when moving around the building. Health exemptions apply
- hand sanitiser and disinfectant wipes are available at the library desk for your use. The library is deep cleaned overnight
We look forward to welcoming you again soon. If you'd like to speak with one of our Library team before your visit please contact us. We will endeavour to respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.
Library research sessions
With thanks to our generous supporters:
The Reuben Foundation
The Edwin Fox Foundation
The Hintze Family Charitable Foundation