Relaxed Screening: Singin’ in the Rain
Gene Kelly heads up a sparkling cast in the most beloved of all movie musicals. We dare you not to smile…
Tickets can be booked in advance either online, in person or by calling (020 7928 3232), or by emailing the Box Office (email@example.com).
Dirs Gene Kelly, Stanley Donen
With Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Jean Hagen
A BFI release
Relaxed screenings are presented each month for those in the neuro-diverse community and their carers and assistants. More detailed information about these screenings can be found at bfi.org.uk/relaxed
Few pinnacles of creativity are as outrageously enjoyable as Kelly and Donen’s Technicolor love song to Hollywood. Gene Kelly stars as silent movie idol Don Lockwood, in love with chorus girl Kathy (Reynolds), at war with leading lady Lina (Hagen) and desperate to save his career when the arrival of the talkies threatens disaster. Written by the great Betty Comden and Adolph Green, Singin’ easily qualifies as one of the best film comedies – helium-voiced Hagen’s attempts to cope with the newfangled sound technology are belly-laugh funny. But it’s in the musical numbers where the film soars: from the dreamily romantic ‘You Were Meant for Me’ to the sexual tension between Kelly and Charisse in ‘Broadway Melody’ to the iconic title song. Joyous.
Robin Baker, Head Curator
See other screenings of this film.
Our relaxed screening adjustments include:
- For this screening doors will open 30 minutes before the screening start time.
- No trailers will be shown.
- The programme will be introduced.
- Customers will be able to choose their own seats in the auditorium, but we will do our best to accommodate any specific seating requests.
- Our house lights will remain on a low level throughout the screening, and the volume will be turned slightly down.
- Please feel free to move around in the auditorium and make noise.
- There will be a safe space for customers to use if they need to leave the auditorium.
We welcome your feedback on our relaxed screenings.