Information for disabled visitors and guidance for carers.
In all four screens we’re now able to provide audio description (if available, via infra-red headsets) for those who are sight-impaired. Please collect and return your headset to the box office. We’re also able to show, whenever the necessary files are available, on-screen captions for customers who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Browse our list of upcoming accessible screenings.
BFI Southbank floorplan
The main BFI Southbank foyer and box office entrance is on Theatre Avenue, by the National Theatre at street level. There are stairs and a wheelchair accessible lift to gain access to the main foyer.
There is a help point phone in the foyer to call for staff if you need any assistance.
Visitors using the Hayward Gallery car park may find it easier to use the lower foyer entrance facing the Royal Festival Hall. There are lifts from this area to the main foyer and NFT1. You can buy tickets from the box office located in the main foyer.
- There is a wheelchair accessible lift and steps with handrails lead up to the NFT1 foyer and The Riverfront. We’ll be happy to assist if you require escorting via an alternative route.
- Access to NFT2 from the box office is via a lift or stairs.
- There are stairs and a lift at the back of NFT3 and access is via the main foyer. If you are a wheelchair user, please ask at the box office counter and we will be happy to assist, as the route is not marked as a standard entryway.
- The Studio, BFI Reuben Library and Mediatheque are all accessed via the main foyer and box office area.
- Both café bar areas are fully accessible.
Disabled parking is available in the Hayward Gallery car park, located between the Southbank Centre and BFI Southbank. The car park is open 7:00-1:00 daily.
If you have any queries, please contact Apcoa on 020 7620 0397 or email email@example.com. This service is not managed by the BFI.
Wheelchair spaces in the cinemas
Please book your wheelchair seat in advance to avoid disappointment. This will help us allocate adjoining seats for any companions. We’ll make every effort to accommodate customers who have not made a prior booking and if you wish to take your seat unassisted, wheelchairs or scooters can be stored in the foyer. If you need any further information or assistance, please speak to the box office manage on duty.
- NFT1 has six wheelchair spaces – four at the rear and two at the front of the cinema.
- NFT2 has four wheelchair spaces at the front of the cinema.
- NFT3 has three spaces at the front of the cinema.
- The Studio has two spaces.
We welcome guide dogs at BFI Southbank and can accommodate them in the cinemas. Please book your ticket in advance so that we can allocate the most appropriate seating. We can provide drinking water for your guide dog and are happy to look after him/her during your screening.
Assisted hearing facilities
Three of our screens have induction loop facilities and the box office minicom number is 020 7620 2025. We also occasionally present palantype and soft type screenings.
There are four toilets adapted for wheelchair users. They are situated in:
- The foyer of NFT1 next to benugo bar & kitchen.
- The main foyer next to the Mediatheque.
- The corridor opposite the Blue Room.
- The ground-floor corridor next to the lift. This requires a RADAR key, so please ask a member of staff for help if you are not a RADAR key holder.
Parents, carers and guardians
All our public areas are accessible by lift for visitors using pushchairs and prams, and baby changing facilities are available. We can provide storage for buggies and prams during performances for some screenings.
We present a programme of films and activities for families every month.
Certificates are supplied for UK certificated films. Where there is no certificate, films are for over 16s unless other age guidance is provided. We welcome young audiences to screenings certificated U, PG, 12A and 15.
We’re proud to be screening on film where possible, listed as 16mm, 35mm or 70mm. Other formats are listed ‘Digital’ 2K DCP (or 4K if stated), HDcam, SR, HDcam ‘Video’ Digibeta, BetaSP, Blu-ray. Find details of our 35mm and 70mm screenings.